COVID 19 – Client Information
COVID 19 has been declared by the World Health Organisation to be a global pandemic. As a health care provider, The Hand Recovery Centre recognises the importance of continuing our services to maximise client outcomes after hand injury, whilst adhering to the guidelines provided by the Australian Department of Health to protect our clients from COVID 19 infection. We also recognize that the situation is changing rapidly and as such, we will update our policy and procedures accordingly. At this stage, allied health services are categorised as essential services and it is important that clients continue to engage in their upper limb rehabilitation. The Federal Minister for Health, The Hon Greg Hunt has confirmed today (23/03/2020) that ALL allied health businesses can continue working and are encouraged to do so. He went on to say that Telehealth codes are being developed within the week and this is part of a staged plan, “Face to face services for many remain vital so where possible, we encourage you to continue.”
What are we doing to protect you?
- Adhering to strict hand hygiene standards, including handwashing before and after each client and during treatment as dictated by the five moments of hand hygiene. Sometimes gloves will be used during treatment.
- Cleaning of all therapy equipment and surfaces that come into contact with clients after each appointment.
- Should our clinician become sick or exposed to COVID 19, we will reschedule any face to face appointments until such time as symptoms have resolved and periods of self-isolation have been completed.
- We will be contacting all clients to check that they are well and have not travelled overseas in the 14 days prior to their appointment.
- In some cases, telehealth appointments will be available. Please understand that this is not always possible and will depend on the nature of therapy required
- At our Calamvale clinic, a waiting room chair will be placed outside of our treatment room, away from the main waiting area, which clients of the Hand Recovery Centre will be encouraged to use.
What are our client’s responsibilities?
- It is vital that you notify us if you have travelled overseas in the 14 days prior to your appointment, been exposed to a known COVID 19 case in the last 14 days, or are experiencing any signs of cold or flu-like sickness. In this case, we may be able to offer a telehealth appointment if appropriate. Alternatively, we will reschedule your appointment for a later date.
- Please do NOT miss your appointment without notifying us first. Therapy is important for your long-term hand function and we will do our best to accommodate your needs whilst preventing the spread of COVID 19 infection.
- Clean your hands using the alcohol rub provided on entering the medical centre of specialist rooms and on entering the therapy room.
- Avoid touching your face as much as possible and clean your hands using alcohol rub afterwards
- Always cover your cough or sneeze by using the inside of your elbow
- If you arrive at your appointment more than 5 minutes early, wait outside the building or in your car to minimse the number of clients in the waiting area.
- When seated in the waiting area, try to remain at least 1.5 metres away from the next person.
- Please bring no more than one support person to your appointment, to help us to minimise the number of people in the waiting room and treatment room
- We are strongly encouraging our clients to register their patient information on our secure portal prior to attending the clinic for the first time, to minimize contact with administrative staff and minimize use of shared stationery items. We will contact you to discuss this and we will require an email address to provide access to the secure portal.